What causes itchy and red eyes?
Spring has sprung and the seasonal allergies have come along with it. Apart from sensitive skin, most of us are allergic to everything. Seasonal allergies usually manifest in the form of red, itchy and irritated eyes.
Red eyes are known as a condition where the white of the eyes ( SCLERA ) becomes reddened or bloodshot.
The appearance of the red eye can vary widely. It can look pink or red lines on the sclera or the entire sclera may appear diffusely pink or red.
The factors because of which one gets irritated eyes :
- Allergens, including pollen, dirt, pet dander, etc.
- Air pollution
- Dry air, like in arid climates or airplanes
- Chemical exposure, like swimming in a chlorinated pool
- Overexposure to sunlight
Check out the BELOW remedies!
COLD COMPRESS :
Cold compress works like a miracle in relieving swelling around the eyes and reducing itching.
- Start by splashing a bit of ice water over and around your eyes. Then, wrap some ice packs, ice cubes, or a packaged frozen food item in a clean cotton towel.
- Place the cold compress on your closed eyelids for several minutes or until the itching subsides.
Chamomile can be highly soothing for irritated eyes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile flowers or a chamomile tea bag to 1 cup of boiled water. Steep for 5 minutes, strain, and let the tea cool completely.
- Pour the cooled tea onto a cotton pad and apply it around your eyes. You can also use the cooled tea in a cold compress!
Cucumbers are packed with soothing antioxidants which are a great remedy for eye inflammation and irritation.
- Cut two slices of cucumber and place them in ice cold water for 10 minutes to chill them.
- Then place the chilled cucumber slices on your closed eyelids and relax for 10 minutes.
TEA BAGS :
Tea contains tannic acid which helps to soothe itchy eyes.
- Use a green or black tea bag to prepare a cup of tea, then allow the teabag to cool completely.
- Place the cooled tea bag over your eyes one at a time to help soothe itchiness and reduce inflammation.
CHILLED METAL SPOONS :
The chilled metal spoon can help constrict the blood vessels around the eyes which helps to decrease redness and swelling.
- Place four metal spoons in a glass of ice water. When chilled, place one spoon on each eye.
- As the spoons begin to warm, switch them out with the spoons that are still chilling in the glass of ice water. Continue this cycle until the swelling subsides.
ALOE VERA :
Aloe vera gel or juice is a great remedy for itchy eyes.
- Frozen aloe vera cubes, in particular, can soothe a variety of skin irritation, including sunburns.
Also Read :